How to run PHotoshop 7.0 in Windows 7?

I just received my new XPS 9100 with all the goodies and power and tried to load Photoshop 7.0 on it. Doesn't seem to work and a call to Adobe resulted in the suggestion to downgrade my machine (YEA, RIGHT?) or purchase the latest version of PS for over $500. I've been an original owner and user of this software since V. 3.0 and find this to be a pretty crappy answer. Help?????!!!!

-bbo

Answer
Answer
Not really a crappy answer - it's business.  Sooner or later, things just aren't supported - in this case they have been replaced 5 times since its release 8 years ago.  It is as old as the operating system you were likely running before Windows 7 (which is two versions beyond that probable OS.)  One cannot purchased a product and expect it or the support for it to last forever no matter what else you decided to change.  Not going to happen with any product, physical or otherwise.  It's like you wanted the faster/more powerful/feature rich vehicle - but you wanted to keep the same tires from your old car.

Windows XP Mode might get you were you want to go - if you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.  Then you will have a free Windows XP virtual machine to run your older programs on.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP    
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I just received my new XPS 9100 with all the goodies and power and tried to load Photoshop 7.0 on it. Doesn't seem to work and a call to Adobe resulted in the suggestion to downgrade my machine (YEA, RIGHT?) or purchase the latest version of PS for over $500. I've been an original owner and user of this software since V. 3.0 and find this to be a pretty crappy answer. Help?????!!!!

-bbo

Hi

In addition to the previous information.

If you find that the program is not compatible with Windows 7 and the software developer will not support the product on Windows 7, try the following.

HOW TO: Install a Software Application using Compatibility Mode

If a program written for an earlier version of Windows doesn't run correctly, you can try changing the compatibility settings for the program, either manually or by using the Program Compatibility troubleshooter.

To run the Program Compatibility troubleshooter:

1. Click theStart button, and then click Control Panel. In the search box, typetroubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. UnderPrograms, click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows.

2. Follow the instructions in the troubleshooter.

If you cannot install a program, insert the installation disc for the program and, using the troubleshooter, browse to the program's setup file, usually called Setup.exe, Install.exe, or something similar. The troubleshooter is not designed to work on programs that have an .msi file name extension.

Make older programs run in this version of Windows

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2024 Views 30,466 Applies to: