how to make pdf files open with adobe reader

Help with pdf file

Looking for help, please! I was trying to open a pdf file earlier this week but my new pc didn't have a pdf reader installed. I tried doing "open with" Word but got a lot of meaningless symbols. I then downloaded Adobe reader and have tried to open the document, it is still trying to do it in Word and won't give me the option to "Open with". I tried restoring the pc to a date prior to these but that hasn't resolved it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2019 Views 1,668 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
If you right click the PDF file there should be an "Open with" option - click on it. Then you can choose what to open it in, and also check the box "Always use the selected program..."

Another way:

Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Default Programs.

In Default Programs, you can:

Use this option to choose which programs you want Windows to use, by default.

You can choose the programs that Windows uses by default

If a program does not show up in the list, you can make the program a default by using Set Associations.

1. Open Default Programs by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Default Programs.

2. Click Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

3. Click the file type or protocol that you want the program to act as the default for.

4. Click Change program.

5. Click the program that you want to use as the default for the file type you selected, or click the arrow next to Other Programs to show additional programs. (If you don't see Other Programs, or your program is not listed, click Browse to find the program you want to use, and then click Open. If no other programs are installed that are able to open the file type or protocol, your choices will be limited.)

If you don't see the program you want to use as the default, click the arrow next to Other Programs to see a list of programs available on your computer
  6. Click OK.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-which-programs-Windows-uses-by-default
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.