History of Microsoft Picture It

I Have Microsoft Picture It 2002 on disc Can someone tell me the History of Picture It and why this amazing piece of software as never been upgraded by Microsoft to be used on Windows 7?...Im a PC and desperately want to be able to use it.
I Have Microsoft Picture It 2002 on disc Can someone tell me the History of Picture It and why this amazing piece of software as never been upgraded by Microsoft to be used on Windows 7?...Im a PC and desperately want to be able to use it.

Hi

Microsoft discontinued all of their digital imaging products several years ago.

Microsoft Digital Image Home page

If this is important to you, you can use the following form to submit feedback.

Windows 7 feedback - Speak to us at Microsoft

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

...but why did microsoft discontinue their digital imaging products and why do they no longer support their own imaging software like Picture It by making it compatible with upgrades like Windows 7?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Because they added a lot of the functionality within Windows 7. It may not be the same interface, but a lot of the tools are built in. That's what they say, anyway. I liked Picture It, too, but stopped using it when Vista was released...

Dustin Harper
There is no such thing as a dumb question. If in doubt, ask.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

...but why did microsoft discontinue their digital imaging products and why do they no longer support their own imaging software like Picture It by making it compatible with upgrades like Windows 7?

Hi

We'll probably never know for sure about the 'why' they decided to discontinue these products, it could have been any of a hundred different reasons. All we can do is speculate. Once a program is cancelled, it will not be updated in the future. They did provide 3 years of support from the cancellation date, but that support ended over a year ago.

If you look at this link: Edit and share photos they do discuss some of the alternatives. In Windows 7, you will also find several enhancements to the built-in Paint program. 

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
Awww Guys...Sorry for all the whys!...but I still do not understand.  If a company like Microsoft develop software that is, in a lot of cases purchased by Joe Public Why does this Microsoft software not continue to be available or compatible with its upgrades like Vista and now Windows 7 ?...for those members of the public who want to, by choice, to continue to use software that was developed by Microsoft?...Are you saying that if I decide to spend out monies on software for Windows 7 it may not be compatible for arguements sake on Windows 8, 9 or 10?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I still use it on XP; and I must say it is in a class by itself, MS made it so easy for the novice to use, NOTHING compares to this program; so strange they let it go and went back to publisher.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

48I'm using Picture It 2000 under both Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 10 Home premium.

It works differently than it did in XP, but it works.

You want a clean install. I installed it under Windows 10 before the big Fall Update, and on a clean install of Windows 7 with automatic updates turned off and disabled. The updates in Windows 7 were preventing picture It from installing. 

I do everything from the Workbench tab, as the Projects tab no longer functions correctly. But I can still make those fabulous collages that can only be made in Picture It! Even it's supposed replacement, Digital Image Pro, does not make a collage of the same quality.

That feature alone is why Picture It is so irreplaceable to me. It was because I couldn't imagine a way to get along without it that I began experimenting with installs and compatibility and actual use.

In Windows 7, I have it running in XP with service pack 2 mode. In Windows 10, I have it running in XP with service pack 3 mode.

It works -- as that it does is so far the best thing about Windows 10. All those apps are just useless drek and clutter, except for maybe the Weather app.

I don't want my work stations turned into giant smart phones, so that stuff is useless to me. What I want is an OS that runs my software!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 627 Applies to: