File Types Tab in Advanced Options under Indexing Options is not usable.

When I go to Control Panel / Indexing Options / Advanced and click on File Types the application hangs for about 10 seconds and then Indexing Options and the Advanced screens both close - no warnings or errors. I have tried rebuilding the index and I also tried removing all locations with the modify option. Any suggestions?

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2018 Views 2,765 Applies to:
Answer
Hi D - Man,

1. What exactly are you trying to accomplish in indexing option?
2. Did you try running search and indexing troubleshooter?

Method 1:

If you have not run the search and indexing troubleshooter, I suggest you to run and check for the issue.

Refer:

Step 1:

Try in safe mode.

Step 2:

If the issue does not recur then, I would recommend you to perform clean boot.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may have to contact the program manufacturer for any updates or uninstall and re-install the program.

Refer the following Microsoft KB article for more information on how to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to put the computer to start as usual as mentioned in Step 7 in the above KB article.

Step 3:

If the issue recur in safe mode then, try sfc scan.

SFC /scannow is a super-useful command you can use in any Windows version. When the SFC (System File Checker) command is used with the /scannow switch, the tool will scan all of the important Windows files on your computer and replace them as necessary.

Missing and corrupt operating system files (like many DLL files) are arguably the biggest cause of major Windows issues. Considering that, plus the fact that SFC /scannnow is completely automatic and very easy to use, the tool should usually be one of your first troubleshooting steps.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

You can also use the Event Viewer to look for information about the issue.

Here's an article on how to do that:

How to view error messages in Event Viewer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947321

You can check for information about the issue by the time it occured.

You can post that information here to help us narrow down where to focus.

Thanks and Regards:
I. Suuresh Kumar - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.