Fatal Error with Windows Fax and Scan

Okay, this is driving me INSANE!!!

I'm using Windows 7 on a 64-bit machine. When I send a fax with Fax and Scan, I get some faxes to go through, others fail with a Fatal Error message.

At first, I thought it was my modem, so I troubleshot that a bit, made it go slower and all that jazz, then gave up and got a nice, beefy fax modem.

And I cannot believe it. I have the SAME EXACT thing.

Where in the world to even START?

I know these fax numbers are valid. I can call them and they ring, and then I hear the fax tone. My modem will connect properly as if it will start to transmit, them immediately fails.

PLEASE HELP!

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2019 Views 9,855 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi lmillermt,

·        What is the exact error message you get?

Check to see if the following helps.

Method 1:  Download and reinstall the latest device driver updates like modem and the chipset drivers. Log on to the manufacturer website ro do so.

Method 2:  Try disabling and enabling Windows Fax and Scan from Windows Features and check if that helps.

a.       Click the Start button, Control Panel, Programs, and then Turn Windows features on or off.

b.      To turn Windows Fax and Scan feature off, expand Print and Document Services and uncheck Windows Fax and Scan. Click OK and restart the computer.

c.       To turn Windows Fax and Scan feature on, select the check box next to Print and Document Services and check Windows Fax and Scan. Click OK and restart the computer.

Method 3:  Refer to this help article which should be of help to you. (This applies to Windows 7 as well).

Troubleshoot fax problems

Regards,
Syed N – Microsoft Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.