Question

Q: Error writing to registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce - RegSetValueEx failed; code 5. Acess is denied.

Hello everyone,

It is my wish everyone is doing well.

I run a program named Virtu Green GPU Virtualization published by LUCIDLOGIX that came with my Asus motherboard, which coordinates the use of the Intel Onboard Graphics GPU and the discrete NVIDIA Video Card installed, for performance and efficiency purposes depending on the type of video processing taking place at any given time.

Yesterday I was notified by Lucidlogix of the release of the latest version of the Virtu driver, which I downloaded.

When I try to install the update, I get the following error:

Error writing to registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

RegSetValueEx failed; code 5.

Access is denied.

I contacted LucidLogix's technical support department and was told to contact Microsoft. 

I contacted Microsoft through their Online Chat Support System.  The Microsoft support technician told me to use Regedit to change the permissions on the RunOnce hive to allow everyone full permission, which I did, however, that did not solve the problem; I still get the same error when I try to install the updated Virtu driver (I have completely uninstalled and reintalled three times with the same results).  I contacted Microsoft again to let them know that their recommended fix did not work, and now Microsoft wants me to 'prepay' for support before they can "look further into the issue", whatever that means...

Can enyone here help me solve this issue?

Thank you in advance for reading this post and your help, I appreciate it very much.

Best regards,

Jose

Hi,

Method 1: Run the fixit provided in the following article and check if that helps.

‘Diagnose and fix program installing and uninstalling problems automatically’

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/

Method 2: Start the computer in clean boot and then try to uninstall the program to check if any third party program is causing the issue. To configure your computer to clean boot refer the following link.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow step 7 in the article to boot to normal startup.

Method 3: If the issue persists then, follow the steps provided in the following article and check if that helps.

‘Troubleshoot problems installing and uninstalling programs on Windows-based computers’

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello David,

Thank you for your time and help.

I tried everything recommended on your note (links provided), but nothing worked.

However, I just realized a few minutes ago, that the problem lies with the last two released updates (1.2.110 & 1.2.111) of the Virtu software, and not with the OS permission settings.

I decided to reinstall the version I was using prior to encountering this issue (1.2.106), and it installed flawlessly.

I am still waiting to hear from someone at Lucidlogix (not very good/reliable tech support in my opinion).

Thank you!

Best regards,

José

Pray, hope and don't worry.
Saint Padre Pio of Pietrelcina

Sorry this didn't help.

6 people were helped by this reply

Hi,
glad you at least now know the genesis of the issue.
If any further assistance is needed, let us know.
eddie
The answer is in the details!

Sorry this didn't help.

28 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 14,745 Last updated: June 9, 2018 Applies to: