Error "Setup cannot continue. The Microsoft Runtime DLL installer failed to complete installation." when installing VMware server 2.0.2 on Windows 7 64bit.

Original Title: Installer says, "... Runtime DLL installer fails ...", logs indicate: "... vcredist_x86 problems ..."__What is wrong here?

Hi.

I'm running vmware server 2.0.2 on Windows 7 64bits version on a x64 PC.

Suddently after installing some new security patches from Microsoft the vmware web console did not respond anymore.

After many hours of reading I did not find out anything about this problem, so I deinstalled VMWare server, and then trying to install it again.

But installation fails.

Here is the message I get from the installer:

"Setup cannot continue. The Microsoft Runtime DLL installer failed to complete installation."

Checking log in C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Temp\vminst.log_20100814_112355_Failed.log

says:

"

Attempting to launch ""C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Temp\{AF08C71F-F822-4416-87A9-2BBF5A8A5F12}~setup\vcredist_x86.exe"  /Q /C:"msiexec -i vcredist.msi -qn -leom+ C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Temp\vm_vc8SP1.log ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT=1""

Child exited with code 1625

Process returned 1625

Launching VC8 dll installer failed with 1625.

"

So, here is something with the installer not working properly.

Any ideas what to do??

Thanks

Peter

Answer
Answer

Hello Peters909,

You might try and see if you have a System Restore point to before  you were installing updates.
To choose a System Restore point,

·         From the Desktop click the Pearl (start) button
·         In the Search Field type “System Restore” and hit enter
·         Once System Restore is open, select the option “choose a different restore point” and hit next

Once on the next screen, pick a restore point to go back to when it last worked for you. Once you select the restore point, click next, then select finish, this will start the restore process.

Once you restore, you can then do a manual download of the updates and then install one at a time and reboot. If the issue doesn't occur, go to the next update and install.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

55 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 16, 2021 Views 44,962 Applies to: