Error code 1310 when trying to install or uninstall a program

Original Title: Config.msi

Windows 7 Professional.   When trying to install or uninstall I find that error code 1310 (I think) canot read xxxxx.msi . I notice that the Config.msi folder is locked and each time I unlock it it re-locks

Answer
Answer

Hi Derek,

·        What is the complete error message?

·        Do you get this error message when trying to install/uninstall any particular program?

·        Do you remember making any hardware/software changes or if any new updates installed after which the issue started?

·        Are you logged on to an administrator user account?

I would suggest you to take the ownership of “Config.msi” folder and check if it helps.

How to Take Ownership of files/folders in Windows 7:

Note: You should be logged on as an Administrator to take ownership of files/folders.

Part A:

1. Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer.

2. Right click on file or folder and selectProperties from Context Menu.

3. Click onSecurity tab.

4. Click onAdvanced.

5. Now click on “Owner tab in Advance Security Settings for User windows

6. Click on “Edit Button and select user from given Change Owner to list if user or group is not in given list then click on other users or groups. Enter name of user/group and click ok.

8. Now select User/group and click apply and ok. (Check “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” if you have files and folder within selected folder)

9. Click ok when Windows Security Prompt is displayed

10. Now Owner name must have changed.

11. Now clickOk to exit from Properties windows

Part B:

Once you havetaken the ownership of file or folder next part comes is Granting Permissions to that file/folder or object.

How to Grant Permissions in Windows 7:

1. Locate the file or folder on which you want to take ownership in windows explorer

2. Right click on file or folder and selectProperties from Context Menu

3. Click onEdit button in Properties windows Click ok to confirm UAC elevation request.

4. Select user/group from permission windows or click add to add other user or group.

5. Now under Permission section check the rights which you want to grant i.e. check Full Control under theAllow column to assign full access rights control permissions to Administrators group.

6. ClickOk for changes to take effect and click ok final ok to exit from Properties window.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Santosh Y – Microsoft Support

Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote As Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark As Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 27, 2020 Views 5,492 Applies to: