Error 2203 when using Windows Installer

Original Title: Windows Installer Completely Dysfunctional

No installations or uninstallations are working....all ending with the catch-all 1603 error.

I'm on an HP Pavillion Elite running Windows 7 64-bit.

I've tried the Office Fixit tool, but that, too, fails with a 1603 error. I've tried all other suggestions that I've  found on this and other forums but nothing works. I'm facing a full system restore on this beast so I hope that someone at MS has an easier suggestion.

Here is a short list of errors that I'm seeing in Event Viewer:

Product: Adobe Reader X (10.1.0) -- Error 2203.Database: C:\Windows\Installer\269cb6.ipi. Cannot open database file. System error -2147287035.

Product: Microsoft Fix it 50154 -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203. The arguments are: C:\Windows\Installer\102697.ipi, -2147287035,

Product: Microsoft Office Office 64-bit Components 2007 -- Error 2203.An internal error has occurred. (C:\Windows\Installer\102693.ipi -2147287035 ) Contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. For information about how to contact PSS, seeC:\Users\jhosmer\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup00002170\PSS10R.CHM.

Product: MobileMe Control Panel -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203. The arguments are: C:\Windows\Installer\c0cf927.ipi, -2147287035,

Product: HomeSeer Speaker -- Internal Error 2203. C:\Windows\Installer\d264f8c.ipi, -2147287035

Product: Apple Software Update -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203. The arguments are: C:\Windows\Installer\b163b1a.ipi, -2147287035,

Product: Tracking The Eye.NET -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203. The arguments are: C:\Windows\Installer\18e8591d.ipi, -2147287035,

Product: Microsoft File Transfer Manager -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2203. The arguments are: C:\Windows\Installer\77a5e.ipi, -2147287035,

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2018 Views 35,608 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Jim,

I would suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

1. Go to Start.
  2. Type %temp% in the search box and then click the Temp folder item that appears at the top. 
  3. At the top of the Explorer window, in the address bar, click the folder to the left of Temp in the folder path (Local by default).
  4. In the folder list, right-click the Temp folder and then click Properties and then click the Security tab.
  5. Click the Edit button and on the next screen click Add.
  6. On the next screen, in the large text window type Everyone and then click Check Names - Everyone should then be underlined.
  7. Check the box for Full control under the Allow column, and then click OK, then OK again, and OK again to close all the windows.

Method 2:

Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer.

a.       ClickStart, click Run, type “msiexec /unregister” (without quotes), and then clickOK. Even if    you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs.
b.      ClickStart, click Run, type “msiexec /regserver” (without quotes), and then clickOK. Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs, or you may briefly see an hourglass. After you run this command, the operation is complete.

c.       Try to install the programs you wish to install and check.

Hope this helps.

51 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.