Question

Error 1721.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

CBhaskar asked on
Hello!
I tried to install a copy of Symantec Corporate Edition Antivirus software but despite several attempts the software could not be installed in Windows 7 Home Basic version but getting repeated error message as "Error 1721.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. "
Could anyone help me out here.
Thanks,
338 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Marilyn O replied on

Hello CBhaskar,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

If the information from Gokul didn't help to resolve your issue, then I would suggest you use the Windows Installer Cleanup Tool.
There may be a corrupt install you need to remove first.
Click here for a link to download the utility from Microsoft.

You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.

Please reply back and let us know if this helps to resolve your issue or if you still need assistance.

Sincerely,
Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress