COM Surrogate crashes related to video files, Windows 7, 64-bit

Fraps creates movies that crash the COM Surrogate, and I can't change DEP settings on my 64bit Windows7. What can I do to fix this?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,446 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

1. Did you get any error message?
2. Have you installed any codec pack on the computer?
3. Does this issue happen only with the movies created using Fraps?
4. Does it happen when you trying to play normal movie files stored on the computer?
5. Which application do you use to play video files?

Method 1:

You can try to booting the computer in clean boot state that helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may have to contact the program manufacturer for any updates or uninstall and re-install the program.

See How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to put the computer to start as usual as mentioned in Step 7 in the above KB article.

Method 2:
To change DEP settings, you can follow the below steps:

a. Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

b. Click Advanced System Settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c. Under Performance, click Settings.

d. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.