Can´t install programs - either no access to temp folder or windows installer denies service depends on program to install

Hi,

I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit on my desktop. Desktop is 1 month old. Suddenly I can´t install programs no more. Spybot Search and Destroy says Error numer 5 "Can´t create temp folder in C:User/nameofuser...temp"

CCleaner setup says: Can´t create temp file. Make sure your temp folder is valid

Java Update complains about windows installer beeing not accessible.

All paths seem to be normal. I have admin rights. The paths in the registry - as far as I found them are the same as in the explorer. Automatic updates are activated.

Avira shows no viruses.

Who can help?

Question Info

Last updated August 29, 2018 Views 11,329 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Eiergeier 1,

I would suggest you to try the following steps:

Users experiencing similar problem have fixed this issue by starting “Windows Installer Service”, I would suggest you to start the service and check if the issue persists

Step 1: Make sure “Windows installer” Service is set to automatic and started. To do this, follow these steps:

1.    Click on Start-Run, type services.msc, the click on OK.

2.    When the Services window loads, navigate to the " Windows installer Service", the double click on it to open it,

3.    Make sure the "Startup Type" says "Automatic" and started. If it doesn't, use the drop down menu to change it.

4.    If it already says: "Automatic", then click on the "Recovery" tab at the top, and change the "First Failure" line to "Restart the Service", then click on "apply", then OK.

Step 2: Check with another user profile

If you do not have another user account, you will have to create one (see the link below).  If everything works fine with another user profile, you can infer that the user profile is corrupt, check the link to know how to fix this issue.

Create-a-user-account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Create-a-user-account

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Thanks and Regards:

Ajay K

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.