Built in webcam not working in Windows 7

Original Title: my computer does not have a webcam programme

I have recently perchased a new windows 7. It has a webcam installed, but does not have a webcam programme and I'm asuming its only used for live messaging. I've tried downloading webcam programmes but they always say 'cannot locate webcam' and stupid stuff like that. Can someone give me the link for a programme that will work. Its really annoying me this!!
|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

• Do you get any error message?
  • What is the make and model number of your computer and webcam?

I would like to clarify, if you have done a clean installation using Windows Vista installation disc on the same partition or on a different partition.

Method 1: Check if your webcam displays in the device manager

a)   Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager. 

b)   If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c)   In the Device Manager, locate your webcam under imaging devices and then double-click the device name.

d)   If an error code has been generated, the code appears in the Device Status box on the General tab

Method 2: Run the fixit available in the link below and check if that makes any difference

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/en-us

Method 3: Download and install the latest drivers and\or software for your webcam from the computer or device manufacturer’s website.

Also refer:

Seeing is believing

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Seeing-is-believing-Use-a-webcam-to-bring-your-instant-messaging-to-life

Microsoft-Forum Moderator

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi there

It is likely that there was and is a program already on your new pc that uses the webcam and that this program needs to be activated for the first time in order for your computer to fully recognise the webcam.

Check start menu, control panel, programs, programs and features:

here there will be displayed a list of all the programs that are on your computer. Check through these to see if there is a program that relates to the webcam (You cannot run the program from here).

Once located click your start orb and type the name of the program into the search programs and files area. The program should come up in the start menu list. activate it and follow the setup instructions.

Note: if the webcam is not visible in the device manager there is no driver installed on your computer to run the device or your device is faulty.

To veiw the device manager Click start, control panel, system and security, system and then click device manager in the top left corner of the window. your webcam should be listed under the imaging devices tab. click to extend the tab. Is your device listed here?.

If your device is listed double click on it a window will appear. The General tab should indicate that the device is working properly lets disreguard this for now and try updating the driver

click the Driver tab then click update driver.

Once your webcam has been activated for the first time you should able to use it in any program that supports a webcam. 

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2021 Views 34,986 Applies to: