Basic Task Scheduler

Hi!

I set up a simple task to run notepad (C:\Windows\Notepad.exe) daily. But even this does not work.

The error I see in the history is: Task Scheduler failed to start "\OpenNotepad" task for user "DomainName\UserName". Error value: 2147750687
Event ID: 101
Keywords: (1)
And the task status is still "Running" after 1 hour.

Is there a make this task work?
Thank you in advance for any relevant suggestion.
|
Answer
Answer

I think you have to use the Run only when user is logged on setting as that's all I could ever get to work - just because you have the thing locked does not alter the fact that it's you that is logged on.

After confirming the password, did you run the task manually to see if it wanted to ask for the password yet again? 

I do not know about security and have no idea how to set permissions but I'd guess that you'd have to be logged in as the system Admin to set up the task for the whether or not logged in setting & would have to go through the Admin confirmation dialog.

You could try searching the forum for Task scheduler security.

Next, if the TechNet article on the security setting does not answer the question then I'd say you should have a go on the TechNet forums [linked near the top of the same page].

Best of luck,

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

30 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 31, 2020 Views 32,635 Applies to: