AOL 9.5 error messsage about low memory or hard drive space

When I try to sign onto AOL 9.5 on my laptop, a message appears saying "the operation could not be completed due to low memory or hard drive space. Please close one or more windows, then try again.
Answer
Answer
When I try to sign onto AOL 9.5 on my laptop, a message appears saying "the operation could not be completed due to low memory or hard drive space. Please close one or more windows, then try again.

Hi Jmkorby, 

A couple things:

Most likely this is RAM memory at issue but nevertheless-

A) Check you hard drive space. You can do this by double clicking on my computer and then right clicking on your main data drive, which would default to C: and selecting properties. Look at the amount of free space and see if you have a reasonable amount of hard space.  If not, you will see the button for disk clean up here. Run this program to clear space and here is a walkthrough:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

If you aren't able to clear enough space with disk cleanup, consider if there are any other programs or files that you can uninstall or delete. If you are uninstalling a program, make sure you have the key to re-install it. If you are deleting a file, make sure it is a file you do not need. If you have another hard drive or backup hard drive, move files off to this device to clear up space.

B) Msconfig:

Startup items. If we can cut down the amount of items that open up when you log on, this will cut down on the amount of system RAM that is needed and make the error you received less likely. We can do this through the MSCONFIG tool:

Here is a walk through for Windows 7:

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_win7.html

For a quick and safe way to cut down on startup items here is a method: If you hit Ctrl-Esc and type "msconfig" then right click and choose "run as administrator" and bring up the tool. Select the services tab and click "Hide all Microsoft Services". From here, disable any services that you either do not recognize or know that you aren't using. For instance, if you see "Ipod service", you most likely need it as you have Itunes installed and are very likely using your Apple device.

Reboot.

C) On reboot:

Open up your AOL program without opening any other programs.

Let us know the result, but this should resolve your issue.

Hope this helps,

Steve <> Microsoft Partner

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 24, 2019 Views 2,982 Applies to: