Not a good response as I too had the same basic question;
0) I have a fresh install of WIn7 and running Comodo CIS Anti-Virus that detected this application.
1) My question too was what does CompatTelRunner do?
2) My concern is if this is an absolutlety necessary thing or can I shut it down or worse is an infected file?
3) After repeated questioning it was finally admitted that it is a program that while desireable for those interested in upgrading would not be needed by some people as myself.
4) From what I gather reading between lines of the respondant is that it is neither necessary nor will there be any negative impact to me by not allowing to to run except that maybe my computer and OS run better without it using resources.
So my solution was to tell Comodo CIS to just block and terminate this application every time it attempts to run.
I did not have time yet to go though checking the services running to see if it can just be disabled there or if I need to search the registry manually but before going that far I think I may let Revo Unistaller have a go at it.
Hope this helps you
If your not part of the solution,
you're part of the problem.
279 people were helped by this reply
Did this solve your problem?
Sorry this didn't help.
Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.
How satisfied are you with this reply?
Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.