Adding Program Icon to WinXP Mode App Menu

I installed an application w/in the XP Mode Virtual PC. After installation, there was an icon in the WinXP Application folder in my start menu. A few days later, I noticed it wasn't there anymore, but several other programs I had installed had icons there. I'm wondering if there is a tool that will allow an "after-the-fact" creation of one of these startup icons? I looked at the properties of the other shortcuts and see that it is pretty cryptic and contains a unique hex code, so I don't think this is something you can fat-finger.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. For the time being, I just uninstalled and reinstalled, but if it happens again, I'd like to save some time.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 517 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

Windows Virtual PC detects that an application has been installed in the virtual machine by looking for shortcuts that have been created in the All Users start menu.  If the application installer did not create a shortcut in the start menu, or created one in the local user start menu, Windows Virtual PC will not auto-publish the application.  You can check this by looking in the All Users start menu in the guest operating system.  Here are the locations to check under each guest operating system:

Windows Vista: %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Windows 7: %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

If you cannot find a shortcut in these locations – create one there and you should be good to go.

You can also drag and drop or create a copy of the shortcut to All Users Start Menu folder, which is located at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu folder.

It’s possible to put in sub-directory of “Start Menu” folder. In this case, the sub-folder will be published too.

Once the shortcuts are added to All Users’ Start Menu, a new folder named Virtual Windows XP Applications will be created under Windows Virtual PC folder in host Windows 7 Start Menu as well.

Regards,
Syed N – Microsoft Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.