Can't change default program for image files

Hi. I have just upgraded from the CorelDraw X4 suite of graphics/image processing applications to version X5 on my Windows 7 Ultimate machine. The new version runs fine, so I uninstalled the X4 version. I then wanted to make Photopaint the default program for editing a range of image file formats (I use Picassa as my album and right clicking to select the program to edit the image is really great). For some reason, however, Photopaint (X5) doesn't appear in the list. When I 'Browse' for it I can find the Photopaint .exe file. However, after I select it and click 'Open' (and the 'Browse window closes) there is no change to the default program. The only correct file:program association I can see is for the native Corel image format (.cpt). What gives? Any help will be very gratefully received!

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,265 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

Follow these:

a. Open the folder that contains the file you want to change.
b. Right-click the file you want to change and then, depending on the type of file, either click Open with or point to Open with and then click Choose default program.
c. Click the program you want to use to open the file.
d. If you want all files of that type to open in the same software program, select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box, and then click OK.

Refer the link “Change the program that opens a type of file” http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-the-program-that-opens-a-type-of-file

Diana
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.