Question

Q: Windows Live Mail - Prohibited file types This thread is locked from future replies

I am unable to download received pics. in Live mail. The pics are included in the main body of the message but I cannot acess them . I get a warning -in red - that reads "Prohibited file type. This message contains an attachment whose file type is considered dangerous. This file has been deactivated."

The files in question are gif and jpg files - not included in the unsupported files list  ( get help ) Apart from any firewall included in Win 7, I run AVG, which does not recommend switching of e.mail filtering.

Any suggestions for overcoming this problem will be gratefully received.   AJP

[Moved from Windows 7]

Answer

A:

To answer your question open Live Mail, in upper right on toolbar click on Menus-Safety Options-Security tab-Uncheck "Do not allow attachment to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus".  This will not change any emails you have already received but will fix future emails. If you have an email from someone that you want to open the attachment have them send it to you again.

Edited 8/21/15

The above solution is for WLM 2009.  In later versions of WLM you click on FILE-OPTIONS-SAFETY OPTIONS-SECURITY

to get to  "Do not allow attachment to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". 

Geeky Senior

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

79 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 32,648 Last updated: April 11, 2018 Applies to: