I am experiencing Recycle Bin problems with Windows 7 Professional. Right-clicking on the desktop Recycle Bin icon hangs Windows Explorer, forcing me to restart the program.

All right-click capability on desktop icons is also gone.

Left-clicking on the Recycle Bin con lets me access the contents of the Recycle Bin, but clicking on "Empty the Recycle Bin" just causes the Recycle Bin to hang, forcing a restart. 

Supposedly there is a way to reset the Recycle Bin with the command line sequence "rd /s / q C:\$Recycle.bin," but I cannot right-click to create an elevated command prompt.

Any ideas on how I can get a fully-functional Recycle Bin back"

Thanks,
Ed

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 4,486 Applies to:
Answer
Hello Ed Haggerty,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

As Suresh suggested, the best way to find what is causing the problem is with a Clean boot.
If the program doesn't happen in a clean boot, then it is being caused by some 3rd party software program or service.
You will have to investigate and try one at a time or in a group. It is a tedious process but really the only way to identify the conflict. 

Click on the article number below:
Article ID: 929135 - How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

There is some discussion about Mozilla Firefox 3.5.5 may be causing a issue and going back to an earlier version doesn't cause an issue with Explorer crashing.
Some antivirus such as could be causing a problem. It is really just going to be trial and error.

Please reply back with an update as it may benefit others.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.