Windows Media Center albums deleted

Within the last week, I upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7.  In my Windows Vista version of the Media Center, I had nearly 60 CDs that I'd ripped and kept in my Albums collection.  This evening, I found that my Windows Media Center shows me having 22 albums, most of them intact, a few not, and the 22nd album containing 600+ tracks... basically all the other missing albums lumped into one.  Everything appears to be correct when I access them through the Media Player, but completely ruined in the Media Center.  Is there any way I can restore my original albums without deleting my whole music collection and starting from scratch??!?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 844 Applies to:
Answer

Hello Todd Miller 9999,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

This problem occurs because the Windows Media Player library database has become corrupted.

To resolve this problem, clear the Windows Media Player database. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit Windows Media Player.
   2. Click Start, click Run, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player, and then click OK.
   3. Select all the files in the folder, and then click Delete on the File menu.
      Note You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.
   4. Restart Windows Media Player.

Note Windows Media Player automatically rebuilds the database.

If this does not resolve the problem, clear the Windows Media Player database cache files. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Exit Windows Media Player.
   2. Click Start, click Run, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft, and then click OK.
   3. Select the Media Player folder, and then click Delete on the File menu.
   4. Restart Windows Media Player.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.