windows easy transfer

I'm having problems with Windows Easy Transfer (WET). I bought a new laptop with Windows 7. The old laptop has Vista Home premium, which I updated to latest version. Both laptops are connected wirelessly to my Netgear router. I can see each computer under the other's NETWORK. I want to transfer info from my old PC to the new one, but I cannot. I open WET on the OLD PC and get to the point where it tells me to get a key from the NEW PC. I cannot get a key from the new PC, because it prompts me to enter a key from the old PC. These two intsructions are contradictory.
I got a key from the old PC and entered in the space on the NEW PC. The NEW PC is trying to connect to the OLD PC but cannot. After a while I get the error message:" WET cannot connect to your other computer. To complete the connection, you might need to install the latest version of WET on your other computer."
I  have done that and I still cannot connect.
What do I need to do to connect my NEW PC to the OLD PC?
Thx.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 2,033 Applies to:
Answer
Hello Luminas,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

I suggest you use the Windows Easy Transfer from the Windows 7 machine to move over data. It is an updated version.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

This should help.
If you still have issues, please reply back.

Thanks,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.