Trying to install XP Mode and Virtual PC, I set the BIOS and did everything to the letter, twice. it's in my program list but it keeps telling me "The setup file must be downloaded and installed before this feature will work".

I have a new HP Pavilion Dv7 64 bit that came with vista. I upgraded today at the geek squad to 7 ultimate so i can run AutoCAD14 software. I have now spent 6 hours reading, reinstalling... Please help.

Twice I've downloaded 500megs and installed the new XP Mode and Virtual PC, I set the BIOS and did everything to the letter, twice. it's in my program list but it keeps telling me "The setup file must be downloaded and installed before this feature will work".

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,219 Applies to:
Answer
My system does support VT. I ended up spending $30 and had the Geek Squad do it for me. They said they uninstalled the Virtual PC and XP Mode and downloaded it again and reinstalled and it worked. I don't know if that will help any do it yourselfers, but after spending over 6 hours I gave up.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Hello Dokun65,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Answers Forum.

Yes, you should be able to install XP mode on a Windows 7 64-bit operating system.

Your hardware must include a CPU and motherboard that supports Hardware Virtualization Technology.  If your system supports hardware virtualization, you may need to find the option in your system's BIOS that switches it on. If you're not certain whether your system supports Hardware Virtualization, visit this Microsoft Web page and download and run a CPU-identification utility from Intel or AMD that can tell you.

Please reply back and let us know if your Windows XP mode is working.

Thanks,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.