Question

Q: Why is Java under Program Files and Windows? This thread is locked from future replies

I have moved on from discussing whether the Java files under the Windows folders are virus/trojan, because I have scanned them and they are the same size as those under the Program Files folders...

My question now is WHY does Java appear under both folders?

I have Java files under:

1) Program Files

2) Program Files (x86)

3) Windows\System32

4) Windows\SysWOW64

I've been told that Java will install under both Program Files and Program Files (x86) because there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions...but that doesn't explain why there are files under the Windows folders.

Thanks!

Answer

A:

Hi MonarchDJ,

·         I presume you’re running 64-bit Windows 7, is that correct?

64-bit version of Windows has two directories: Program Files and Program Files (x86) for 64-bit and 32-bit applications respectively.

With respect to java appearing under Windows\System32 and Windows\SysWOW64, read on...

WOW64 stands for "Windows on 64-bit Windows", and it contains all the 32-bit binary files required for compatibility, which run on top of the 64-bit Windows.

File activity from a Win32 process that would normally go to the System32 directory instead goes to a directory named SysWow64. Under the covers, WOW64 silently changes these requests to point at the SysWow64 directory. A Win64 system effectively has two \Windows\System32 directories—one with x64 binaries, the other with the Win32 equivalents.

I’d suggest you to refer the following MSDN article for more information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc300794.aspx

Hope this information helps.

Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 23,204 Last updated: March 24, 2018 Applies to: