Question

Q: Windows 7 .NET Framework and MSXML. This thread is locked from future replies

I am trying to install a game and when I open the launcher I get "this program has stopped responding" 

I contacted their technical support, informed that I just installed Windows 7 from Windows Vista, and they told me to download the .net and msxml librabries.  I havent seen either of these that are designately as "Windows 7" downloads.  I did download the most recent .net (3.5 i think)  and even that exe file stops responding.  Is their some other windows service or programs i need to update before I can get the others working?

Answer

A:

Hi jzar_,

Thank you for using Microsoft Windows Forum.

a) What is the exact error code you get?

b) What is the name of the game you are trying to download?
Check if that game is compatible with Windows 7 in : http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

c) Were you able to play the game in the previous version Windows Operating System?
If yes, try playing the game in Windows Compatibility mode using this link :
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

In the meantime, try the following steps and check.

Step 1 :

Performing Clean Boot would be your first step.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista or Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot."

Note When you perform a clean boot, you may temporarily lose some functionality. When you start the computer as usual, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or you may experience the original behavior.

To put your computer in clean boot state, follow the below steps:

Perform a clean boot

Note If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to modify the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.

1.    Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
2.    Click Start button, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
3.    On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
4.    On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

5.    Click OK, and then click Restart.

The above steps put your computer in clean boot state. Refer the below link for more details on clean boot and follow the mentioned steps:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Step 2 :

If the issue persists, run SFC(System File Checker) Scan and check.

To determine whether the issue that you are experiencing is caused by one or more system files that are used by Windows 7/Vista, run the System File Checker tool. The System File Checker tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

Follow the instructions in the link below to run SFC scan.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/

Regards,
Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 518 Last updated: March 24, 2018 Applies to: