why is windows media palyer in the program files directory ( i assume for 64 Bit Programs) and also in the Program Files (x86)? It runs OK from either.

Can I deklete it from (x86) and other duplicates as well?

I also note that Office 2007 seems to be in the (x86). Does that mean it is not a 64 bit program?

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 646 Applies to:
Answer
Hey Marvingee,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft answers!

Windows Media Player runs in 32-bit version from Program Files (x86) and 64-bit from the Program Files directory.

64-bit Windows 7 includes both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions of Windows Media Player 12 (WMP12). However, to provide maximum compatibility with existing applications and codecs, 32-bit version of Windows Media Player has been made the default media player.

Using 64-bit software allows application to run natively and take architecture advantage in 64-bit operating system, and potentially run faster by working with larger data sets at any time. One practical consideration is for users who use Windows Media Center, which is a 64-bit application.

This is the reason why Windows Media Player is present in both 64-bit and 32-bit directories.

So, it is highly recommended not to delete it from Program Files (x86).

Also, refer the link below for more details on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows:

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps!
Gokul – Microsoft Support

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.