Question

Q: why is windows media palyer in the program files directory ( i assume for 64 Bit Programs) and also in the Program Files (x86)? It runs OK from either.

Can I deklete it from (x86) and other duplicates as well?

I also note that Office 2007 seems to be in the (x86). Does that mean it is not a 64 bit program?

Answer

A:

Hey Marvingee,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft answers!

Windows Media Player runs in 32-bit version from Program Files (x86) and 64-bit from the Program Files directory.

64-bit Windows 7 includes both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions of Windows Media Player 12 (WMP12). However, to provide maximum compatibility with existing applications and codecs, 32-bit version of Windows Media Player has been made the default media player.

Using 64-bit software allows application to run natively and take architecture advantage in 64-bit operating system, and potentially run faster by working with larger data sets at any time. One practical consideration is for users who use Windows Media Center, which is a 64-bit application.

This is the reason why Windows Media Player is present in both 64-bit and 32-bit directories.

So, it is highly recommended not to delete it from Program Files (x86).

Also, refer the link below for more details on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows:

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps!
Gokul – Microsoft Support

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 644 Last updated: March 24, 2018 Applies to: