Run Install Windows 98 Programs

I have a Windows XP machine, a Vista Business Machine, and a Windows 7 HP machine.  I have several Windows 98 programs that work perfectly for my needs and do not want to upgrade or repurchase newer versions (Mathematica, AutoCAD LT 98, Matlab, Adobe Illustrator 8, etc.).  These all work perfectly on my XP machine.  If I upgrade my Vista and 7 HP machines to Windows 7 Professional, with Virtual PC and XP mode, can I install (my Vista and 7 HP machines will not acknowledge or read the installation CD's for these programs) and run these programs?   This is my only reason for upgrading to 7 Professional on these machines.  Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated October 11, 2018 Views 8,051 Applies to:
Answer

Hello Ralf_G,

You can run Virtual PC 2007 on a Windows 7 Home Premium computer but it is not officially supported. With Virtual PC 2007, you can create and run one or more virtual machines, each with its own operating system, on a single computer. This provides you with the flexibility to use different operating systems on one physical computer.

VirtualPC is not for Windows 7 Home Premium. You would need to look at 3rd party virtualization software such as VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org) or VMware Player (www.vmware.com) and install a separate copy of Windows XP (either Home Edition or Professional) for that purpose.

Look at the FAQs for VirtualPC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/faq.aspx

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Marilyn
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.