64-bit Explorer.exe memory leak

When I run a Check Disk through the GUI, Explorer.exe consumes all of RAM, leaving me with none for my primary activities; chkdsk was being run as a side task for me.  When I cancel the chkdsk part way through, Explorer.exe continues to consume more and more RAM.  I have read that chkdsk consumes all of memory, save for ~50 MB by design (poor design this is), yet this does not explain why Explorer.exe itself continues to consume RAM even after chkdsk.exe is done and gone.  I have Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit version, running with 96 GB RAM.  There's no valid reason for Explorer.exe or Chkdsk.exe to consume all of that RAM.

In this instance, I brought a drive from home to check here at the office.  I do not want to devote all of my office system and my time to this one task, I do have work to be done and would very much prefer that chkdsk.exe run as a background task with very little memory usage.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 404 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

The issue you posted would be better suited in the TechNet community. Please visit the link below to find a community that will offer the support you request.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/threads

Hope this information is helpful.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.