Windows Update cannot currently check for updates

4/25 - Had originally posted this in the UPDATE topic but it was suggested I move it to "Install, Upgrade and Activate"

I should note windows reports it is properly activated and this is not a new install so its been working fine for a couple of years.

---------------------- original follows ---------------

I can no longer update - details follow

Windows 7 / 64-bit SP1

Explorer ver 9.0.5 - (KB2647516)

16 Core (Xeon 3.19 x2 W5580) / 12GB Ram

Antivirus – ESET NOD32 4.2.712 (no previous anti virus installed). Expires 2013

When I attempt to update windows Updates says Service not running but Services.msc shows Windows Update started (restarting does not resolve the issue)

No error code presented

Last updates in log: On 3/14/12 -- KB2667402, KB2665364, KB2641653, KB2639308, KB2621440, KB2647518

MS FixIt fails to install/run after license acceptance screen'. (running as admin)

If I ask windows to find solutions automatically I receive the following: “Troubleshooter has experienced an unexpected error and cannot continue

System Update Readiness tool reports error – Oxc8000247

System file checker [SFC] scan reports - “Found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them”. The CBS.log however only showed the following 'failure':

- SQM: Warning: Failed to upload all unsent reports. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]

- SQM: Failed to start standard sample upload. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]

- SQM: Failed to start upload with file pattern: C:\Windows\servicing\sqm\*_std.sqm, flags: 0x2 [HRESULT = 0x80004005 – E_FAIL]

Any ideas appreciated,

Doug
Answer
Answer

There is NO bug in the tool - PABear misread the output (quite understandably, as it's a complex read!)

The problem is most likely either caused by a faulty CRYPTSVC, or by faulty IRST drivers - it's a fairly common event.

If a new set of IRST  drivers fails to cure it, then next step is to investigate the CRYPTSVC, and then teh system certificates themselves.

Noel Paton
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi -
No, I don't work for Microsoft!
http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 3,641 Applies to: