Q: __Windows setup experienced an unexpected error. to install restart the installation error code 0x0 This thread is locked from future replies

I have an Asus f3sv with vista home premium (32bit).  I am Trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)

During "setup is copying files" I get

"Windows setup experienced an unexpected error. to install restart the installation error code 0x0"

I went through and removed all the programs windows upgrade adviser said I needed to remove.  turned off the virus scanner and have rebooted multiple times

When I tried in safe mode it said I could not install in safe mode

when I booted from the disk in copied the files then when I said I wanted to upgrade told me to install from Vista proper.

I decided to copy the filed to the hard drive and it caused vista to blue screen

I copied the files to the hard drive (while in safe mode) and tried to run the install from the copy.  I get the following error

Windows was unable to create a required installation folder error code 0x8007000D

I can cannot find anything in the forums with the same issue.

Check your hard disk for any errors:
Click Start
Type: CMD, from the results, right click CMD
Click 'Run as Administrator'
At the Command Prompt, type: chkdsk /r /f
When you restart your system, your computer will be scanned for errors and attempts will be made to correct them.

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
       User Account Control permission
       If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
   2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
   3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
   4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
   5. Click OK.
   6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
   7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

Could you try reinstalling Vista and perform a Flat install?

To perform the flat install, follow these steps:

1.   Insert the Windows 7 installation disk.

2.   Start Windows Explorer.

3.   In Windows Explorer, click to select the drive for the Windows 7 installation disk.

4.   In theEdit menu, click Select All .

5.   In the Edit menu, clickCopy .

6.   Click to select the hard drive that you want to contain the flat installation files.

7.   In theFile menu, point to New , click Folder , typeWindows 7 Setup , and then press ENTER.

8.   Double-clickWindows 7 Setup , and then click Paste in the Edit menu.

9.   Double-clickSetup.exe , and then follow the instructions that appear.

For additional information on flat install, visit the below mentioned link:

Note: KB talks about the process involved in Vista, but it applies even for Windows 7.

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin |Notebooks | Microsoft MVP
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

23 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 45,208 Last updated: March 20, 2018 Applies to: