Windows setup cannot find a location to store temporary installation files. To install windows, make sure that a partition on your boot disk has at least 686 megabytes of free space

Current OS : Win XP
New version : Win 7 home premium downloaded from digitalriver ( student version)

The download went fine and has expanded in into the expandedSetup folder. When I click on the 'install now' button on the setup screen, it shows error 

"Windows Setup cannot find a location to store temporary installation files. To install Windows, make sure that a partition on your boot disk has at least 686 megabytes of free space ."

The only unusual thing I did in this install is that I 'shrunk' the existing windows xp volume C: from 228 gb to 150 gb to make room for new partition W: for windows 7.

Here are the my disk details
Total 
Disk 0
letter     Size      Free space
c:          150gb     48.3 gb
W:         78.1gb    78.0 gb
I:          54.7 mb   47 mb ( seems to be DELL partition with dell diagnostics)
J:          4.63 gb   959 mb ( seems to be DELL partition with original OS copy )

disk 1
letter size        free space
M:        78.1 g     29.8 gb
N:        39.0 gb    22.8 gb
X:        21.8 gb    31.7 gb

Thanks,
Muthu

Question Info

Last updated September 9, 2019 Views 37,685 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I found the fix - made a bootable disc from the 'expandedSetup' directory and booted from the disc. Look for the boot disc process in the solution of this tread

94 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.