"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

I have tried upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 several times but I get an error message during the install:

"Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed."

This happens when I upgrade from within Vista or even when I format and install clean on my system.

Can anyone help?
|
Answer
Answer
This error can occur if your computer is using an Intel 82801ER SATA RAID chipset (ICH5R).

The driver on the Windows 7 install media does not support this controller. Usually a driver update should result in resolution; however, the latest version of the Intel driver which supports this chipset (version 5.5) is only supported on earlier versions of Windows prior to Windows Vista.

This means that the ICH5 chipset (82801EB or 82801ER) is not supported and the Windows 7 install or upgrade will fail regardless of which driver version is currently installed for it.

For further information on the chipset please visit the Intel web site and click on the links below:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-023616.htm

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-023064.htm

More information:

To verify if the error you receive corresponds to this particular problem please look at the setupact.log file found in this location:

<drive>:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log

Note: Generally, <drive> is drive C: on the computer; however, this drive may be any supported drive that Windows 7 detects.

If you examine the contents of the file, you should see a line similar to the one below:

[0x060216] IBS CallBack_MungeBootIni: Failed to modify boot entries GLE = 87

52 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2021 Views 61,944 Applies to: