Windows cannot copy files required for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Error code: 0x80070241.

I am trying to do an inplace upgrade to resolve problems with Windows Update but I get above-mentioned error code. I have tried the following:

1. Downloading the installation files twice. Install/upgrade failed.
2. Burned the iso file on slowest possible write speed. Also used Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. Install/upgrade failed.
3. Ran Windows Upgrade Advisor. No known issues that would interfere with install.
4. Disabled firewall & AV software. Upgrade failed.
5. Formatted the HD and did a fresh install of OS. Windows Update issues still persist and upgrade still failed.
6. I have 2GB of memory which is the minimum needed for Win 7 and I checked memory for errors using both the memory diagnostic and memtest86+. No memory issues found.
7. I disabled all services and startup programs except Microsoft and update/upgrade failed.
8. I tried sfc /scannow with an elevated command prompt as well as "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows" at the Startup Repair DOS prompt but it cannot repair the files.

I am at my wits end and I don't know what else to do. Does anybody have any new ideas? 

Hi,

Method 1:

The error you encountered might be cause by a DVD image or a corrupted one while burning to the disk. Try the suggestion from the post below, reburn your copy of the installation CD/DVD with a lower speed and nothing else running on your system.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/b8d9f2e2-0da6-4284-ba3e-599a37f5815a

Method 2:

Step 1:

Run Windows Upgrade Advisor to see if there are any known issues that might affect the installation and fix them.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Step 2:

Make sure your computer has the most recent drivers.

Disconnect all external devices except keyboard and mouse before installing.

Step 3:

Try performing clean boot and then check if it helps, here is the link. Install using Flat Installation In Clean boot state.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE:

After you have finished troubleshooting, make sure you put back the computer to normal startup mode as suggested in step7 from the above KB article.

Also refer:

To perform the flat install, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disk.

2. Start Windows Explorer.

3. In Windows Explorer, click to select the drive for the Windows 7 installation disk.

4. In the Edit menu, clickSelect All .

5. In the Edit menu, click Copy .

6. Click to select the hard drive that you want to contain the flat installation files.

7. In the File menu, point toNew , click Folder , type Windows 7 Setup , and then press ENTER.

8. Double-click Windows 7 Setup , and then clickPaste in the Edit menu.

9. Double-click Setup.exe , and then follow the instructions that appear.

For additional information on flat install, visit the below mentioned link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928902

Note: KB talks about the process involved in Vista, but it applies even for Windows 7.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not trying to be rude but you did not read my entire post, apparently. I tried everything you suggested already and they didn't work. I still get the error when trying an inplace upgrade to resolve update issues.

Method 1: Burn at slowest speed, etc. I tried that already (see item 1 & 2 in my post).

Method 2:

Step 1: Upgrade Advisor. Tried that already (see item 3 in my post)

Step 2: Updated drivers. Not listed in post but 1st thing done after fresh install (see item 5 in my post).

Step 3: Clean boot with flat install. Did that (see item 7 in my post)

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello mp1005,

What is the reason for the Inplace Upgrade? What kind of issues are you trying to resolve?

A couple of things to suggest:
On the DVD, right click the setup file and select Run as Administrator.

If you downloaded using a download manager, try to copy without the download manager.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was trying to do an inplace upgrade to resolve problems with Windows Update.  All of the trivial solutions have been tried already and downloading with and without the download manager was the first trivial solution I tried (see item 1 in my post) and that didn't resolve the problem. The issue is still not resolved as sometimes Windows Update works but most of the time it doesn't.  Some updates can be more troublesome than others and it can take 3 or 4 tries before a particular update is successfully downloaded and installed.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Method 1:

I would suggest you to perform clean boot and check.

Place the computer in a clean boot state and then check if it helps. You can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure the computer to start as usual as mentioned in Step 7 in the above KB article.

Method 2:

If the above doesn’t work, I would suggest you to refer the link and check.

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Troubleshoot-problems-with-installing-updates

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2018 Views 542 Applies to: