Windows 7 upgrade license

I currently have a windows vista home premium 32-bit OEM license.

I am planning on getting windows 7 installed and want to make sure that I get the right license.

Will the win7 home premium upgrade license allow me to run 64-bit on a clean install on a new hard drive?  And subsequently on a new machine later down the road?  I dont have much stored on the current drive that I am using for vista and plan on removing it from the computer and storing it rather than wiping it clean.

Answer
Answer
In order to install the upgrade version of Windows 7, you must have a qualifying Windows operating system installed and activated.  You cannot install an upgrade version of Windows 7 on a blank hard drive.  The installation procedure does not ask you to insert a Windows disc in the drive for verification, the actual qualifying operating system must be installed.

If you do not have a qualifying Windows operating system installed with a genuine license activated, then you cannot use the upgrade version of Windows 7 - you would need a "full version" Windows 7 license.

In summary:

1. A qualifying Windows operating system must be installed.
       2. The qualifying Windows operating system must have a genuine license (product key) and it must be activated.
       3. To upgrade, boot to the qualifying Windows desktop, insert the Windows 7 Upgrade disc in the DVD drive.
       4. When the setup menu appears, select Custom (advanced) to initiate a clean install procedure.

You should be able to repair the installation if your install does crash. I would suggest you create a System Image (backup) of your Windows 7 installation after installing Windows 7 to save you the trouble if your computer does crash in the future.
Andre Da Costa http://adacosta.spaces.live.com http://www.activewin.com
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 3, 2020 Views 1,552 Applies to: