Question

Q: Windows 7 uefi usb installation freeze at windows logo This thread is locked from future replies

I was about to install Windows 7 on my Sony Vaio SVE15127CNW.  It support uefi boot, so I created a uefi bootable usb. The system starts the boot, but freezes at Windows logo. Is there any way, I can proceed with the installation ?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have exactly the same problem as several in this thread have stated.  My machine is an HP Envy h8-1520t that came with Win8 and I want to change to Win7 PRO 64.

Has anyone been successful with this?  So far, I haven't seen an "answer" that works...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Hi,

If you want to install Windows 7 on a computer which came pre-installed with Windows 8 you need to have a Windows 7 DVD and a Windows 7 product key.

You need to boot from the DVD and proceed with the custom install of Windows 7.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

We know that much sir but that is not working.
I also have the same problem. I can't able to install windows 7 in UEFI mode. Windows 7 installation or booting(in case you applied windows 7 to any vhd or partition using dism or imagex tool) stuck at booting animation screen and goes into infinite loop.
I think The OEM must have done something or windows having compatibility issue with some hardware.
Well, the end result is you can't install Windows 7 on the machines which came with Windows 8 pre-installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Aakib,

You may refer to this article to know more about installing Windows on UEFI-based Computers.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh290675(v=WS.10).aspx

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Lets be perfectly clear....
Everyone on this thread is past the Secure Boot - Disabled and in the UEFI boot mode. We are all past the Windows 7 disk/USB stick a legit product code. We all have different desktop/laptop models. We all have different HHD/SSD's (It is not a "Windows does not recognize the Toshiba SSD" problem).

When loading Windows 7 on UEFI, the program freezes on the "Starting Windows" screen just prior to installing.  WHY? Is there a fix? Should i take the boot.efi file from my W8 disk and replace the boot.efi file on my W7 one and try it? Why is this freezing? I want to run W7 on UEFI.....   

Sorry this didn't help.

284 people were helped by this reply

And, crickets...............................................................................

Sorry this didn't help.

8 people were helped by this reply

Well, just for grins I took my W8 disk and copied all files concerning .efi and pasted them into W7 locations replacing them with the W8 versions to see if that worked. Sorry to say, it did not. Not that I was expecting it to work, but its better than staring at my "starting windows" screen in all of its stuck glory.

Sorry this didn't help.

So today, I tried a few different things after I formatted the hard drive completely. I then used my Windows 8 disk to get to the command prompt. I converted the disk from basic to dynamic, then back to basic but with GPT, and still no luck. 

Windows 7 Pro x64 install:
Boot:              Diskpart:         Result:
UEFI               Basic               Hung at Windows Starting
UEFI               Basic GPT        Hung at Windows Starting 
UEFI               Dyn GPT          Hung at Windows Starting
CSM/Legacy   Basic               Booted perfectly fine and installed properly

Windows 8 
UEFI               Basic               Booted perfect and installed
UEFI               Basic GPT        Booted perfect and installed
UEFI               Dyn GPT          Error, would not install
CSM/Legacy   Basic               Error, would not install

My end goal is to have a laptop that has dual boot for W7 and W8. Seems like I can have one but not the other. Why is this so hard to be able to swap between? If I want my laptop to run windows 7 one day and 8 the next, why cant I? 
If I could somehow get Windows 7 pro x64 to load on UEFI boot, I could get this to work. 

......and, yes, the secure boot is disabled. Yes, I did re-download a fresh copy of W7. Yes, I burned it a speed so slow that I saw my own mortality. Yes, I do have a valid product key. 

Sorry this didn't help.

hi, I managed to install it somehow, I recorded the iso using Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, I created a partition from windows 8 and installed from it to do the dual boot, first by a USB stick and then a DVD, the image I used has the file Bootmgr.efi and the folders efi/boot and efi/microsoft, through pendrive boot using UEFI freezes, so the first part of the installation I did in windows 8 and when had to reboot, I activated the legacy boot and finished by the DVD. I do not have much knowledge in the area but I had all the problems explained here and if I can help with any information you can ask here. i have a uefi board and the gpt partition and everything was done with the secure boot disabled, i have tried many times with the sata controlers set to ide and ahci, and the quick boot enabled and disabled.

Sorry this didn't help.

Another one in the boat, I'm having the exact same issue of the screen freezing at the 'Windows Starting" screen and have gone through all the steps I've found in the forums with no luck.

Did you find a way to do it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 21766 Last updated: January 18, 2018 Applies to: