Windows 7 RTM - lsass.exe error causes Windows to reboot

I obtained my copy of Windows 7 RTM from MSDN AA and have been loving it ever since I installed it, all except for one problem.

My computer is part of an active directory domain.  I keep getting the following two errors:

Faulting application name: lsass.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc155
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6cd2
Faulting process id: 0x234
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca23c92c9a9900
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 1772eae8-9017-11de-a36a-001e8cb7e844

About a second after that error, I get the next error:
A critical system process, C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code 255.  The machine must now be restarted.

A message then appears saying "Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute.  Please save your work now." and then the computer restarts a minute later.

I've found that I can cause the problem in two similar ways:
1. I open Windows Media Center then watch videos, listen to music, etc.  Close Media Center and lock my computer.  Then when immediately after I unlock the computer, the message appears.
2. I lock my computer, then unlock it afterwards (I can do that as many times as I like without the message appearing).  As soon as I open Media Center the message appears.

Being that there seems to be a problem in lsass.exe or ntdll.dll I pulled copies of them from my installation disc and ran an MD5 checksum comparing the ones in C:\Windows\System32 to those from the installation disc.  There were no differences between them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated November 15, 2019 Views 25,221 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hmmm, the problem seems to have automagically fixed itself.  I don't even remember installing any Windows updates except for the regular Windows Defender updates.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.