Windows 7 Pro 32 bit to 64 bit cd key issue.

I recently purchased more ram for my computer. I didn't know at the time; approx 2 years ago; that I would need 64 bit Win 7 Pro to utilize it instead of the 32 bit that came with my Lenovo Thinkpad SL510. After a hefty search (an Easter egg hunt that could have taken much less time than it did) I stumbled upon the Microsoft community topic that I was searching for. I didn't want to buy what I consider basically the same os twice just to utilize something else for my computer that also costed money. The forum here said that the cd key for my 32 bit should work for my 64 bit as long as the os is the same otherwise of this detail. So I backup my files and put them in windows.old hoping for the best. Everything seemed to work fine, it authenticated after connecting to the internet. Then in the last week it has given me 14 days to insert another cd key. I've called Microsoft who referred me to Lenovo, who then referred me back once more since they say w/o warranty they don't do software issues. I haven't made a third call in hopes to avoid becoming a tennis ball. I am hoping that I can get this resolved online. I could pay like 10/15 dollars towards a new key if the option arose, but I'm leaning towards Windows 8 before that option sounds eligible in my head. Also, no offense to the developers and programmers, but I tend to like to wait at least a year or two after an os is released to purchase it, just in case new errors arise in updates or the like. Please advise me a direction or course to take from here. Thank you for your time.

Question Info

Last updated August 13, 2019 Views 4,793 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Try reactivating by telephone:

How to activate Windows 7 manually (activate by phone)

1) Click Start, and in the Search box type:   slui.exe  4

2) Next press the 'ENTER' key

3) Select your 'Country' from the list.

4) Choose the 'Phone Activation' option.

5) Stay on the phone (do not select/press any options) and wait for a person to help you with activation.

6) Explain your problem clearly to the support person.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929/en-us

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I recently purchased more ram for my computer. I didn't know at the time; approx 2 years ago; that I would need 64 bit Win 7 Pro to utilize it instead of the 32 bit that came with my Lenovo Thinkpad SL510. After a hefty search (an Easter egg hunt that could have taken much less time than it did) I stumbled upon the Microsoft community topic that I was searching for. I didn't want to buy what I consider basically the same os twice just to utilize something else for my computer that also costed money. The forum here said that the cd key for my 32 bit should work for my 64 bit as long as the os is the same otherwise of this detail. So I backup my files and put them in windows.old hoping for the best. Everything seemed to work fine, it authenticated after connecting to the internet. Then in the last week it has given me 14 days to insert another cd key. I've called Microsoft who referred me to Lenovo, who then referred me back once more since they say w/o warranty they don't do software issues. I haven't made a third call in hopes to avoid becoming a tennis ball. I am hoping that I can get this resolved online. I could pay like 10/15 dollars towards a new key if the option arose, but I'm leaning towards Windows 8 before that option sounds eligible in my head. Also, no offense to the developers and programmers, but I tend to like to wait at least a year or two after an os is released to purchase it, just in case new errors arise in updates or the like. Please advise me a direction or course to take from here. Thank you for your time.

OEM versions of Windows 7 are an exception to the rule of interchangable product keys for 32-bit/64-bit if I recall correctly.  In other words - you cannot use your 32-bit OEM product key with 64-bit OEM Windows 7.  If you had purchased the OS retail - you could have used 32-bit or 64-bit.  Another reason that OEM licensing is so inexpensive in most cases.

Windows 8 may not be supported by your manufacturer on that system.  It looks to be...
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT063325

Have you tried Windows 8?  You may not like it.

.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.