Question

Q: Windows 7 Installation Error 0x80070017

Hi Everyone!

Yesterday I recieved my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate NFR (Not for Resale) from the Microsoft Expert Zone.  I tried to install it however I came up with error code 0x80070017.  So, after a little bit of forum searching I found a few ways around this issue (installing it from a flash drive, using a different DVD/DVD-ROM drive, etc).  However, none of these have worked for me.  I am running Windows XP on the machine I am installing Windows 7 on.  I have also tried a few different types of installs.  Here's what I have tried so far:

-Upgrade Install (I put disk in with Windows XP running however it said I must do a Custom Install)

-Custom Install (I put disk in and restart computer - this is where I ran into the above error code.  I also tried to reformat the hard drive using the advanced tools however I still recieved the error.)

-Custom Install on blank hard drive formatted using Windows 98 Startup Disk (FAT32 format)

-Three Optical Drives (I used the DVD-ROM & DVD-RW drives that were already installed on my computer and I installed a different DVD-ROM drive from a different computer and none have worked.)

-Install from Flash Drive (I have tried to copy the files from the Windows 7 disk onto a SATA hard drive, flash drive, and USB external hard drive however I get error messages each time I try.  Using the first two DVD drives I got the error 'Cannot copy install: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).' and using the other drive it said that it could not copy 'install.wim')

Due to the error in copying the files off of the Windows 7 DVD is it possible that I recieved a bad disk?  I have heard people have had problems with ISOs they burned themselves however this is a copy directly from Microsoft.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Answer

A:

Hi Devica,

Thanks for posting Error code 0x80070017 usually refers to bad media. If this is happening on both your flash drive and your burned DVD media I would recommend that you download the file again as you may have corruption in the ISO itself. So if possible, download the file again. After you download the new copy, try to burn it on a lower setting 4x or 8x. After you burn the disk on a lower setting with the new ISO, then see if you can install Windows 7.

Hope this helps. Post back and let us know if this gets your issues resolved.

Shawn - Support Engineer - MCP, MCDST
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

254 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 366,153 Last updated: July 15, 2018 Applies to: