Windows 7 Build 7600 this copy of windows is not genuine BUT IT IS

28th December 2009 I bought a HP Advent laptop from PC world England (I presume this site is american), this laptop came with Windows 7 preinstalled. I have had no problems at all and I actually like the software.

Today I noticed in the bottom right hand corner of my wallpaper this mark 'Windows 7 Build 7600 This copy of Windows is not genuine'. Obviously I have bought this software legally with my laptop so why is this saying this? Do I need to activate it? I didnt think I did since it was preinstalled I never had to with XP on my last laptop.

I tried microsoft supprt, when asked for the Product ID (I dont have my documents in this house) I clicked FIND which it could not.

I aplogise if (and I probably have) I have posted this in the wrong section, and also if this is answered in another post, but the posts I saw were from upgrading mine is from a new computer.

I appreciate any help or advice.

** I have found my Product ID and when I enter it on the Microsoft support sheet it says there is a problem with it, though I made sure it was in the correct format (though the example was numbers only mine included letters? I dunno). I may pop into PC world monday or something

*** The sign has 'magically' dissapeared problem over I guess

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2019 Views 657,586 Applies to:
Answer
Luke, this should not happen, do this:Click Start and in the Run box type slui.exe 4, Enter. Select an activation centre near you, call, speak with a real person and explain what happened.

hbaruzzi, from your post it seems like you have used a product key from one of your computers on another one. You cannot do this. You many use a product key on one computer only. Your problem is simply different from Lukes. If you have 2 computers you need 2 copies of windows=2 product keys.
Ron

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Hi Luke Topham,

The one which you entered is a product ID which can be found in your computer’s sytem properties. and it is not the product key. Product ID contains only
numbers and produckt key is alpha numeric.

The message disappeared because when you connected your computer to Internet, your copy of windows was automatically activated.

Regards,
Afzal-Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

24 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.