Question

Windows 7 Boot Manager deactivated because of OpenSUSE 11.3 installer.

chaitanya2106 asked on

Hi ,

I was trying to install OpenSUSE on another partition of my HDD but then i realised that the installer was trying to install onto the Windows System Drive , so it would override current Windows which i did not wanted. So, i canceled the installer but it left its effect & now when i restart OpenSUSE installer again starts & asks for installation. I cancel it in the hope that Windows will boot but it doesn't.
Please tell me how to enable Windows Boot Manager. I don't want to format current Windows. I have Ubuntu Linux installed on the partition where i wanted to install OpenSUSE.

Help.

Thank You,

Chaitanya P.

2 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
TrekDozer replied on

Use your Windows 7 install disk or recovery disk to repair the boot process. If successful you will be able to boot into Windows, but not into openSUSE/Ubuntu. Then use EasyBCD to add openSUSE/Ubuntu to the Windows bootloader.

An alternate method would be to reinstall GRUB - doing so should add Windows 7 to the GRUB boot menu and allow you to boot into Windows 7 and openSUSE/Ubuntu.

Step 1. Try Repairing The Windows 7 Installation

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD and restart your computer
2. Boot from the DVD.
3. Choose your language and click Next.
4. Click Repair Your Computer and then select the operating system you want to repair.
5. Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

More info and a how to guide:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

If that doesn't fix it:

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD and restart your computer
2. Boot from the DVD. If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.
3. Choose your language and click Next.
4. Click Repair Your Computer and then select the operating system you want to repair.
5. Select Command Prompt and type the following commands (pressing Enter after each one): 

bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /fixBoot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

Note: there is a space before the /

Step 2. Editing the boot menu with EasyBCD

You can use EasyBCD by NeoSmart Technologies to edit the Windows 7 boot menu. It allows you to define start-up settings and edit boot entries.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7?
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress