What do I do if my Windows product key isn't accepted?

What do I do if my Windows product key isn't accepted?

Question Info

Last updated August 21, 2018 Views 118,389 Applies to:
Answer

Thanks for the comments Marnok and DJChris - this process helped. After successfully completing these steps, however, I decided to try the following for kicks:

1. Installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (using Upgrade disc) by selecting Custom Install when prompted.
  2. Deleted all disk partitions when given the chance (so as to completely start fresh) and then clicked Next to allow the default partition creation.
  3. Left the Product Code field and Activate checkbox blank when prompted.
  4. Once Windows 7 had finished installing I was brought to the Desktop, here is where I deviated from the previous suggested comments.
  5. Instead of reinstalling Windows 7 as an upgrade (taking another 30 minutes or so), I simply launched the System applet (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System).
  6. From here, I launched the "Change product key" link under the "Windows activation" section, entered my Windows 7 Pro product code and followed the prompts to Activate.
  7. Done (this instructional deviation took less than 5 minutes and accomplishes the same goal without the reinstall)...

Note - I was previously running Windows XP Pro 32-bit and wanted a clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. These instructions worked seemlessly!

41 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

There are several reasons why a product key might not be accepted:

·         You mistyped it.

·         The product key you typed doesn't match the key assigned to Windows on your computer.

·         Microsoft has identified the product key you entered as counterfeit.

·         The product key has already been used on another computer.

First, check your product key and retype it. If you're sure that you typed it correctly and your product key is still not valid, you will need to buy a new product key. To get genuine Windows, go to the genuine Windows website and check to see if Windows on your computer is genuine. If it's not, follow the instructions to buy a new product key. (http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/)

55 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.