Upgrading from Vista 32-bit to 7 64-bit

I pre-ordered the windows 7 home premium upgrade and know that it comes with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. My computer is currently running an OEM version of windows vista home premium 32-bit (which came with my computer). My question is whether or not I can upgrade to the 64-bit version of windows 7 with the "upgrade"disc? Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated August 6, 2018 Views 26,811 Applies to:
Answer
As long as your system meets the hardware requirements, you can use either the 32-bit or 64-bit when you upgrade.  If you want to change to 64-bit, however, it will require that you do a custom install.  This will mean that none of your programs and settings will be carried forward, and you'll have to reinstall your software and adjust your personal settings.  An in-place upgrade, bringing all your programs and settings forward, would require that you stay at 32-bit.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
One cannot directly upgrade a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system.  To install the 64-bit version of Windows 7, boot to your existing Windows Vista desktop, insert the Windows 7 64-bit disc in the DVD drive and select "custom installtion" to begin a clean install.
Carey Frisch
Windows Expert - Consumer

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.