Question

Q: Upgrading from Vista 32-bit to 7 64-bit

I pre-ordered the windows 7 home premium upgrade and know that it comes with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. My computer is currently running an OEM version of windows vista home premium 32-bit (which came with my computer). My question is whether or not I can upgrade to the 64-bit version of windows 7 with the "upgrade"disc? Thanks.

Answer

A:

As long as your system meets the hardware requirements, you can use either the 32-bit or 64-bit when you upgrade.  If you want to change to 64-bit, however, it will require that you do a custom install.  This will mean that none of your programs and settings will be carried forward, and you'll have to reinstall your software and adjust your personal settings.  An in-place upgrade, bringing all your programs and settings forward, would require that you stay at 32-bit.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

12 people were helped by this reply

Answer

A:

One cannot directly upgrade a 32-bit operating system to a 64-bit operating system.  To install the 64-bit version of Windows 7, boot to your existing Windows Vista desktop, insert the Windows 7 64-bit disc in the DVD drive and select "custom installtion" to begin a clean install.
Carey Frisch
Windows Expert - Consumer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

10 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 26,493 Last updated: May 7, 2018 Applies to: