The product key on my sticker is worn off and I cannot make out all of the characters.

Product Key

I have a computer that no longer has windows on it, it still should have a valid product key for that copy of windows. The Product key under the comp is worn down, and im barely able to make out 22 of the 25 numbers/letters. I also have the bar-code number on the COA  sticker if that would help get this thing reinstalled. There is no recovery partition as the entire drive was reformatted.all i have is an old worn out COA sticker. I also have a copy of the same version of windows on CD, which is being used on my current computer, and not my older computer so media should not be needed for a reinstall, I just want to use the genuine product key for that computer if i do install windows on it again. I have seen some answers here and there, but id like Microsoft to tell me what they can do about my old COA sticker of windows, since it is their product. I understand that not having the OS installed current is a problem sometimes, however things happen, and its the COA sticker that has failed me most in this case so far.

Question Info

Last updated May 24, 2019 Views 1,273 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
. I already have recovery CD but thats not going to help in my case with no recov partition.

You should be able to boot from the recovery dvd to install your windows. ( assuming it is not a repair disk)

As to the product key. The only record of it is on your COA. Neither Microsoft or your manufacturer has a record of who owns the key.

a bright lite and a good magnifier helps to recover the product key

unused characters:

E,U,I,O,A,S,L,Z,N, and 1,0

easily confused

B and 8

G          6

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.