STOP Error "0x000000A5" Error upon installation of Windows 7

So basically, every time I attempt to install Windows 7 on my laptop, I am greeted with a STOP Error "0x000000A5".

Pretty much, I put in the DVD, boot from it, the "copying windows files" something or another progress bar completes, and then I get the "starting windows" screen, and before the cutesy little Windows icon animation can even start, I get a blue screen that says nothing but STOP Error 0x000000A5 and then a few more "0x"es in the parentheses next to it. From what I've read, usually this particular blue screen gives the user a speech about "protecting your computer" and stuff, but for me, I get ONE line of text on my blue screen stop error.

I have tried both possible methods of installation - booting from the DVD, and starting installation while Windows xp is running, and I get the same thing. It is a laptop, it (the problem) is not the ram, don't have any obscure hardware plugged in, no built in wireless card even. Tried with and without the adapter plugged in as well.

I also checked the bios for any "ACPI" related items (as is what is suggested for this symptom), and found nothing. I never ever had this problem in xp, nor while setting xp up, which I have done recently a few times. The bios is updated to the most recent version as well.

Sorry for the disorganization of the thoughts laid out here, I was just kind of writing to debunk popular internet theories and save time. Thanks for all your help anyway people of the community!

- 2 Bunny

Question Info

Last updated December 1, 2019 Views 43,534 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi 2 Bunny,

A "Stop: 0x000000A5" error message typically indicates that the computer BIOS is incompatible with the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) standard that is supported in Windows 7. However, this error can also occur because the computer hardware, the peripherals, or the drivers for those devices are incompatible with Windows 7.

If you receive this error message when you install Windows 7, follow these steps:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Roll back the installation to the previous operating system.
  3. Contact the computer manufacturer for information about how to obtain and to install a BIOS update.
  4. Disconnect any external hardware devices that are connected to the computer. Additionally, remove or disconnect any hardware that the computer manufacturer does not support.
  5. Try to install Windows 7 again.

You may first run the upgrade advisor on your computer to check if all the hardware installed on your computer is compatible with Windows 7 or not. Follow the given link to download the advisor.

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Now, don't take this the wrong way, "amrita m", but you haven't exactly helped at all. In fact, if you had read my post a bit better, we would've already moved on to the next step, no offense or anything.
1. Yes, I restarted and tried numerous times.
2. I'm not "rolling back" anything. The problem is with the computer booting the disc. Right now, it thinks it needs to finish the setup process every time I restart the computer so I have to quickly scroll to Win xp before it automatically selects "continue setup", which takes me right to a blue screen as well.
3. I already updated the BIOS - I specifically mentioned this before.
4. Already mentioned that I did this already.
5. Have done number five many times

I mean, perhaps I did not make the question clear enough:
After I rip the install DVD, what adjustment do I need to make (before burning it again) to the installation files in order to make it bypass whatever is giving me this error message?

I'm not yelling at you, so please don't take it that way, I'm not trying to be like Mr Evil Bully or anything, just trying to figure out what is wrong. Thanks!

- 2 Bunny

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I may have an solution for pc's that are having issues with windows 7 booting up after instalation. I also received the 0x000000a5 error that would give me a BSOD when it started loading up the 4 -color animation screen of windows boot up. I have been able to run the beta and RC1 versions on my laptop, so I was bound and determined that the retail copy should work. My laptop is a VPR matrix 200a5 with pentium 4 processor @ 2ghz, 1gig of ram, and an nvidia 420 go 32mb integrated video card. The solution that worked for me after 2 days of reinstalling windows 7 3x, fidgeting around with advanced settings in the system menu of windows, and adjusting the limited bios settings..was to turn off one setting in the boot up process of windows. Here is what worked for me. Boot windows 7 up using safe mode (f8 before it boots windows). When you are logged into windows safe mode, do a search from the start menu for msconfig. Right click msconfig so that it you see the menu, and click Run as Administrator. When the system configuration window comes up, go to the boot tab. Click the no GUI boot option in the boot window, and click apply. Ok your way out of the system configuration, and restart windows. Windows will boot up with a black screen and a green line across the top of screen. It loaded up windows 7 for me and it works fine! The only change is the missing GUI screen at bootup, but who cares as long as we have it working! I hope this helps anyone with this problem. Thanks, mike Anderson

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have a vpr Matrix 200A5 but was able to install Windows 7 Enterprise from MSDN without a problem. I have upgraded the memory on the machine to 1GB and the wireless card has been disabled through the hardware switch. Now comes the problem of finding video, audio and network drivers for the vpr!

So, in short, apparently there is nothing intrinsic to the hardware that prohibits installation of Windows 7.

-Pete

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I may have an solution for pc's that are having issues with windows 7 booting up after instalation. I also received the 0x000000a5 error that would give me a BSOD when it started loading up the 4 -color animation screen of windows boot up. I have been able to run the beta and RC1 versions on my laptop, so I was bound and determined that the retail copy should work. My laptop is a VPR matrix 200a5 with pentium 4 processor @ 2ghz, 1gig of ram, and an nvidia 420 go 32mb integrated video card. The solution that worked for me after 2 days of reinstalling windows 7 3x, fidgeting around with advanced settings in the system menu of windows, and adjusting the limited bios settings..was to turn off one setting in the boot up process of windows. Here is what worked for me. Boot windows 7 up using safe mode (f8 before it boots windows). When you are logged into windows safe mode, do a search from the start menu for msconfig. Right click msconfig so that it you see the menu, and click Run as Administrator. When the system configuration window comes up, go to the boot tab. Click the no GUI boot option in the boot window, and click apply. Ok your way out of the system configuration, and restart windows. Windows will boot up with a black screen and a green line across the top of screen. It loaded up windows 7 for me and it works fine! The only change is the missing GUI screen at bootup, but who cares as long as we have it working! I hope this helps anyone with this problem. Thanks, mike Anderson

Yep, they've really got it locked down. For some people it just "does that". I wonder if it is the RAM in some cases. For here, I discovered that a bit later, my ancient computer had the ram slot on the bottom wear out (a lot like the old NES consoles did and sometimes just refused to load cartridges), and so now, I have to have either a single 1GB ram piece, or just live with half the memory. I think a new laptop may be on the menu here soon, LOL!

For the rest of you, good luck with that error and returning Windows 7 and disappointingly having to return to Windows xp (which still is decent). You'll still have many good years of Windows xp left for you.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I am getting this error when trying to install Windows 7 on a new machine. I have windows 7 on a machine with the exact same setup absolutly no differences at all and never got this message. I really need help with this.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Check the BIOS settings - make sure that they are consistent between the two
machines (ACPI settings cause this error in XP - don't know about W7)

--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Noel Paton
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi -
No, I don't work for Microsoft!
http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Already done. And to ease the confusion, there really is only one machine (☺). The BIOS menu of the Pavilion zt1250 is extremely limited, even after an upgrade. We should be fine with this "ACPI" Stuff - Windows xp never had that problem, so if it is a real symptom, it should be shown in my day to day use of xp, right?

- 2 Bunny

Sorry this didn't help.

"2 Bunny" wrote in message news:880379a1-040e-4a1c-a2a4-3e7a0b2f3137...

--
Noel Paton
CrashFixPC

www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Already done. And to ease the confusion, there really is only one machine (☺). The BIOS menu of the Pavilion zt1250 is extremely limited, even after an upgrade. We should be fine with this "ACPI" Stuff - Windows xp never had that problem, so if it is a real symptom, it should be shown in my day to day use of xp, right?

- 2 Bunny

I was responding to Hawk777th's post, not to yours (which I read as being an informative one, rather than a question?)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC
Noel Paton
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi -
No, I don't work for Microsoft!
http://www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Sorry this didn't help.

I also had this error and that was how I could solve the problem.Now works ok.
Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.