Question

Q: Stop 0x0000007B error message during a clean install from win XP Pro to Win 7 Ultimate

Original Title: stop error after doing a clean install from win xp pro to win 7 ult

hi!

i tried to do a custom install from win xp pro to win 7 ult. before doing a custom install, i double checked, using winupgrade advisor, that my computer can run win 7. i have win 7 ult 32bit full version. it downloaded installation files and then went to restart, the windows 7 splash screen appeared but after it, the blue screen appeared: stop error 0x0000007B and then i was asked to run my antivirus software, run chkdsk and lots more.

please tell me what to do...thanks!

Answer

A:

Hey jaban,

What is the complete make and model number of your computer?

"Stop 0x0000007B" error message during Windows 7 setup could be related to Boot-Sector viruses, device driver issues or hardware issues.

About your query, please do not remove your external DVD drive if you're installing Windows 7 from DVD.

However, before running Windows 7 installation, go through the following checklist.

ü Remove non-essential hardware devices one at a time. This includes a second video adapter, Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) adapters, modems, sound cards, network adapters, and other non-essential Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) adapters, Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) adapters, and PC Cards.

ü Disconnect non-essential external devices and cables, such as backup devices, external hard disk drives, printers, and scanners.

ü If you are using a notebook computer, verify that it is not currently in a docking station.

To fix the issue, here are additional things you may want to look into.

Method 1:

Update the drivers for your hard drive controller. If the drivers to your hard drive controller are outdated, incorrect, or corrupted then the STOP 0x0000007B error will likely occur. The best place to get this driver is your manufacturer's support section.

For driver updates, refer this link:

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

Method 2: 

Verify that the hard drive is configured properly in BIOS (basic input/output system (BIOS). The STOP 0x0000007B error could occur if the hard drive settings in BIOS are incorrect. Refer your BIOS manual for help.

Here are answers to some common questions about BIOS.

BIOS: frequently asked questions

Note: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Method 3:

Change the SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) mode in BIOS to Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE) mode. Disabling some of the advanced features of SATA  drives in BIOS could stop the STOP 0x0000007B error from showing up, especially if you're seeing it during a Windows installation.

Note: Depending on your BIOS make and version, SATA mode may be referred to as AHCI mode and IDE mode may be referred to as either Legacy, ATA, or Compatibility mode.

Regards,

Shinmila H - Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 6,949 Last updated: April 13, 2018 Applies to: