Status: 0xc0000428 Windows cannot verify the digital signature of this file.

The following is the message that pops up:

Windows Boot Manager
A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.
If you have a Windows installation disc, insert the disc and restart your computer. Click "Repair your computer," and then choose a recovery tool.
Otherwise, to start windows so you can investigate further, press the ENTER key to display the boot menu, press F8 for Advanced Boot Options, and select last known good. If you understand why the digital signature cannot be verified and want to start Windows without this file, temporarily disable driver signature enforcement.

Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

*So what the heck is going on? Sorry but am getting very frustrated with this. I noticed that windows created a file called windows.old. There should NOT be any windows old as this was a empty hard drive and this was a full version install used. NOT an upgrade. As to why my product key isnt working...don't even get me angry by posting what i have seen elsewhere in these forums. I am NOT paying another $200 for another product key. This one should be working. I just opened the darn thing to do the install. So if that key has been stolen it was stolen where ever microsoft has these discs packaged.

Can I safely delete that file called windows.old (assuming i can ever get back into windows 7)? Do you think that has anything to do with the problem? Or should I do what ppl doing upgrades say they have to do...reinstall win 7?????
*It will not let me use F8 to get to the advanced options to disable the driver signature.

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2018 Views 232,788 Applies to:
Answer
Thanks! Got the product key issue resolved. I saw on another post you stated

"Editing the boot menu with EasyBCD by NeoSmart Technologies should solve your problem, it provides a graphical front end to the BCDEdit Command line that makes it easy for you to define start-up settings and edit boot entries on the new Windows manager.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1   "

Now would that address my other issue as far as letting me fix the boot issue windows is having? I see that windows 7 doesn't have a boot.ini file like previous windows versions. I would like to see the "command lines" that whatever file win 7 has in place of boot.ini is using. I suspect something may be in there that is causing the driver signature error...and trying the "bootrec" methods above didnt resolve anything for me.

Thanks so much for your help in this matter. (Once I get the verify driver signature disabled it goes right into win 7 and win 7 runs fine. It just wont stay disabled each time i start my pc. I always have to fight to get to the window that gives me the option to disable it.)

229 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
You won't have to buy a new key (unless it's not genuine).
If you don't need anything in the Windows.old folder it is safe to delete.

Try Repairing The Windows 7 Installation

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD and restart your computer
2. Boot from the DVD.
3. Choose your language and click Next.
4. Click Repair Your Computer and then select the operating system you want to repair.

If that doesn't fix it:

1. Insert the Windows 7 DVD and restart your computer
2. Boot from the DVD.
3. Choose your language and click Next.
4. Click Repair Your Computer and then select Command Prompt and try the following commands (a single command might work, or you may need to use multiple commands depending on the exact problem):

bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /fixBoot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

Note: there is a space before the /

Have Questions About Installing Windows 7? Read This:
FAQ - Common Windows 7 Installation Questions & Answers
MCC 2011

TrekDozer

Sharing bits of knowledge.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.