space on drive c is disappearing.

Hi , I have formatted my hard disk on DELL laptop Studio 1555 and installed windows7  professional 64bit. I assigned 35GB to drive C where is installed windows 7. After installing windows, I noticed that hard disk space on drive c is disappearing. continuously it is decreasing!!! Now I have only 5GB on drive c and it will also disappeared in one or two weeks time if it continues to disappear. Please let me know what the problem is. What should I do. I have checked my hard disk by different antivirus programs and even online scanners and I'm sure it is not affected by any virus.
Looking forward inpatiently to get your help.
Regards,
REZA

As I said , I checked my laptop for virus and I'm sure it has not been affected by any virus. Moreover, I tried to use unnecessary files and temporary files by CC Cleaner software but it doesn't help too.

What is likely taking up the space is restore point being created. You can delete older restore points or all restore points to free up disk space. You can also set allocation on how much disk space may be used for restore point.

It is usually a good idea to keep your restore points to make sure you can roll back easily if something gets loaded that messes up your system so I wouldn't personally get rid of all of them, but you may want to at least set up a max disk space for your restore points to ensure you don't complely run out of space. The following link will help walk you through most of the process. Setting the max space, while not specifically discussed, should be easy to figure based on the first screen shot.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-delete-system-restore-points-windows-7/

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear,
Thank you very much for your prompt response But it is not the reason since I have done it before. Moreover, from the time I have installed windows 7 something more than 12GB has been  disappeared while system restore is set for the minimun disk usage. Any other suggestion?
Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Make sure you Run Disk Cleanup (Start, type: Disk Cleanup)
Delete the Windows.old folder located at the root of the drive if you did an upgrade)
Empty your temporary files folder:
(Open the Run Command Windows key + R)
type: %Temp%
Delete the contents of the folder and restart your system
Uninstall any programs that you are not using
Free Up Lost Disk Space in Windows 7 & Vista
Andre Da Costa http://adacosta.spaces.live.com http://www.activewin.com
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try checking what takes up the used space. You can use an app like TreeSize for that.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Andre,
Thanks for your reply. I have done these steps before but not effective. Now these folders only have 500Kb while I have missed around 12GB!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Thank you for your advice. I did what you said. It showed that windows folder occupied 42.41%, users 16.76%, program files(x86) 9.58%, program files 5.37%, others 4.16% and "3 files in C:" 21.73%. I think the last one is the problem. Whatever I look at drive C: I don't see more than two files pagefile 3.96GB and hyberfil.sys 2.97GB. I know I can delete hyberfil.sys but what about pagefile? Moreover, I think more disk space disappeared than these two!!. In windows folder winsxs occupied 42.98% and installer 16.13% of the windows folder which is in total 14GB.  Please advise if I can delete anything from these files and folders?
Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

Following advice on this forum I ran a disk cleanup, and amazingly it was reporting the temporary files folder to be 113GB in size!
I went to the folder manually and doubled checked the size and it was actually 24GB, i allowed disk cleanup to clear the folder, and sure enough I did only gain 24 GB, furthermore, although I have IE 8 configured to delete all history on exit and not store more than 8MB (the minimum) it still managed to have over a couple of Gigs in there. I've not found anymore folders lercking with unwanted data so for the time being I advise checking these two despite any settings you may have to not save temporary data.

Regards,

Matt

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same disappearance of disk space even after removing the shadows and restore points and disabling hibernation and everything that was being suggested. I use total commander to browse my files and I had "show hidden" enabled as well and checked how my disk space was occupied. It looked like this: 50GB total size, 1GB free. In detail: 14.5GB windows7, 1.5GB programfile, 1.5GB User documents and settings and thats it, the rest 34+ GB was simply lost and was not showing anywhere.

I used TreeSize as recommended by JKerrik above, and it showed me that the Windows Temp directory was over 34GB in size. I deleted all those 9 thousand files in there and freed up all the rest of my missing disk space!

Hurray, rescued my lost bits and bytes!

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 7, 2024 Views 44,943 Applies to: