Set up of dual monitors with W7

I have been using a Samsung 24" SyncMaster 245B LCD monitor as the single display on my W7 system.  I recently purchased a Samsung T550 LED TV/Monitor to use as a 2nd display.  Specifics of my system are as follows:

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X6 1090 Processor 3.21GHz

MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD Video Card

Windows 7 64bit SP1

With the single display (Syncmaster) connected to the top socket of the video card with a DVI-D cable the desktop background was full screen and all worked normally.

When the LED monitor was connected to the bottom socket with a DVID-VGA adapter & VGA cable the computer did not recognize the monitor. The 2nd monitor was connected with a DVID-HDMI cable and both monitors recognized.   The LED monitor is now the main display but now the desktop back ground is no longer full size with a black border 4” on the sides and 1” top and bottom and desktop icons are only shown on the main display monitor.  The mouse does transfer from one display to the other.  If the cables are swapped between sockets the display is the same.  I have updated the video card driver to the latest version.

My goal when adding the 2nd monitor was to be able to work and between two documents or spread sheets at the same time.  How do I configure the displays so that I can view different files from the HD or view email on one display and web page on the other or view two web pages?

Hi,

In Windows 7, it is easy to add a second monitor by using the new hotkey Win+P. This is convenient when you need to change the display settings during your presentations with a projector connected to your laptop.

Here are two methods to set up multiple monitors in Windows 7. Make sure that you connect the external monitors to your laptop or your desktop computer first. 
Method 1: By keyboard shortcut "Win+P" Press the Windows logo key + P on your keyboard. Select one of the following options according to your needs: (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

Method 2: By the "Screen Resolution" menu 1. Right-click any empty area of your desktop, and then click Screen resolution. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

2. Click the Multiple displays drop-down list, and then select Extend these displays, or Duplicate these displaysNote If you cannot see the additional monitor(s) listed, click Detect. If does not work, try restarting your computer and do step 1 to 2 again. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

Sincerely Yours

Rahul Kumaar
https://in.linkedin.com/in/kumaarrahul

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I guess you didn't read my question because your answer did not have anything to do with the problems I am having.  I had already set up the monitors in screen resolution as you described, but I still have the following issues:

1)  The desktop background is not full screen on either monitor and have found no way to change that from the control panel.  In another thread someone had mentioned changing settings in the graphics card control panel and not in the computer control panel but have not found a way to access the graphics card control panel.  The device manager does not seem to have those controls.

2) Do not understand how to open a different document on each display and work between them.

3) How to open email on one display and a web page on the other or two different web pages.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been using two monitors for a long time. My graphic card is a Nvidia G-Force and all the setting I found are in the Nvidia Control Panel. Also I have learnt to use different formats ,,Ex ,, show avi on one monitor and HD on the other at the same time .As for which is primary, well you can set that as he illustrated above.

When you install the graphic drivers you should get the control panel also. . Right click in a blank spot on the desktop and the menu should appear,left click and all the settings are there. Always use the most updated version for the drivers.

You should find all your settings there

I used Radeon and it was the same setup. Hope this helps. I have a 23'' Acer for desktop and a 23" HD Gateway for videos and stuff. Two monitors are great.

Forgot move the display around so the mouse moves from one to the other. Place #2 in front of #1 or reverse and check mouse movement.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

nifty58 thanks for your reply.  I can't seem to get there from here.  After connecting the 2nd monitor I went to the device manager and updated the driver for the Radeon 6870.  When I right click on the desktop the only options are the usual Windows stuff and the Screen Resolution, Gadgets and Personalization selections.  None of those gets me to a control panel for the Radeon.  What am I missing.  Should try to update the driver once more and see what that does?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To update drivers for MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II Radeon HD Video Card

visit this link: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R6870_Twin_Frozr_IIOC.html#/?div=Driver&os=Win7 64

Once drivers are installed, right click in a blank spot on the desktop and in the menu you will get the AMD/MSI utility to manage your setup.

Additionally, you can watch this video to learn more about using dual displays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtzAQ1hao7U

watch this video from 8 min. onwards

Sincerely Yours

Rahul Kumaar
https://in.linkedin.com/in/kumaarrahul

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No,,, go to the site and download the complete drivers and application. The device manger only updates part of the video system. You must get the complete download for the graphic card. Windows installs just enough so you can use the display. Then after you reboot you finish the installation which puts in the dll's and other support software. The drivers can be up to 250 - 301 mb. You will install the Catalyst Control Center,which in turn contains all you need. (AMD Catalyst Packages) is what you look for.

Uninstall old drivers. completely.... reboot, the, system will install a driver so the display works. After you reboot run the download and fold instructions. At the end you'll be all set. For drivers you can go to AMD site for Radeon card or google it.

Hope this explains it better.

You shouldn't have to go to device manger at all. Unistall from control panel. If you have a better uninstaller like Revo use it.

Good Luck.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

nifty58 thanks so much for your help.  I am working through this but need lots more guidance.

I went to the web site and downloaded the latest driver for the Radeon II and rebooted.  The AMD Catalyst Install Mgr is listed in the programs file.  But I find no driver except in the Device Mgr. Where do I  go from here and how do I complete the driver installation.  Under the driver tab of the Display Adapters is an uninstall button.  Should I use that to uninstall the early drive?  In the AMD folder of the c drive is the setup folder for the Catalyst by opening that will it reinstall the Catalyst Package or will it install the driver?

Once again I appreciate your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After installation is complete ( with no errors ) you should be able to right click in a empty space on the desktop and a menu should come up. (look for a reference to the Ati Control panel, left click to open).  If the installation failed ,uninstall again. This time check in program data for any remains of ATI, if so delete. 

1 Uninstall all old parts of ATI program, anything related to Ati. (ex.. my Nvidia shows 6 parts ). Start in Windows control panel,, add and remove or programs and features which ever you have).

2 Reboot and let the system install the drivers ( these are the basic but they help the software locate your video card.

3 After your system is up all the way . Run the download ,follow the directions and install all parts. ( if it says it can't run installation, a part remains, find and delete).

4 If all goes well ,you should be able to get to the Ati Control Panel,,either from in the control panel (windows control panel)  or right click in empty space on desktop.

Remember

You only want to adjust the settings in the Ati Catalyst control panel. 

The driver in the device manger relates to the drivers in the package , these go in as you run the download.

Display drivers are tricky , not knowing your OS and M,B somethings are hard to  comment on.             

You are  installing drivers and apps for the display.

Main thing all parts of Ati old must be removed. You might have to install your chip set software over. Most MB have a video chip on them to enhance video and other connections. ex. mine is Ati  chip-set w/ Nvidia card, I up date both at the same time).

Write if you need help... if all goes right reinstall direct x for your system before full operation.

Patience is the key.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Got the 2nd monitor up and running with only one issue.  Unable to open different Excel documents on each monitor.  All others, Word, multiple web pages, and emails display as they should.

Thanks to nifty58 and all others for the help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad you got it working. You'll be able to do almost everything you want with a little practice.

Welcome and glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 28, 2018 Views 375 Applies to: