Problems installing Windows 7 SP1 64-bit: "Installation was not successful" DS_S_SUCCESS(0x0)

I am unable to install the Windows 7 SP1 to my laptop.  I am running Win 7 64bit, and have attempted to install the 64bit SP1 first via the automatic updates feature, and then manually with the SP1 download (windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe).   The SP1 installer progresses to the point where it shuts down the system and reboots, but when I log back in I get the SP1 installer dialog reporting "Installation was not successful".  Clicking the show error link reveals DS_S_SUCCESS(0x0).

I have followed the troubleshooting steps of 1) using the troubleshooter to "Fix Problems with Windows Update" and 2) installed the System Update Rediness Tool, but installation of SP1 still fails with the same error.

I have successfully applied SP1 on a different system.  No ideas why I am having problems with my laptop.

Any ideas?

Thx. C

Question Info

Last updated November 24, 2019 Views 89,543 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

And the winner is.... Andre!

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 finally installed successfully.   I did a bunch of stuff all at the same time, including:

1. Updated the chipset drivers for my laptop by downloading the latest from Intel for Windows 7

2. Updated the wireless network drivers by downloading the latest from Intel for Windows 7

3. Updated the wired/ethernet network drivers by downloading the latest from Intel for Windows 7

4. Re-downloaded the standalone Win 7 SP 1 install package, however I compared it with the previous, same size, same signature...

5. I removed the only additional thing I could, which was a SATA hard drive in the second bay of the laptop.

When I rebooted after the driver install, the previously failed SP1 install "kicked in" after the "log off" process.  The PC rebooted and Windows now acknowledges that SP1 has been installed.   My gut feeling is that the chipset driver update made all the difference.

Thanks for your help chaps.  Hopefully this post will be of value to other users who are experincing Win 7 SP1 installation problems.

Comox

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Did you check your hard disk for errors? Another obscure thing you could try is disabling User Account Control temporarily.

Its possible you might need to do a BIOS update if one is available for your ThinkPad T60p. Also, check for any updated chipset drivers.

Also, disconnect any non-essential devices you might have attached to the system.

Its possible the SP1 download might be corrupt, I would download another copy and try again.

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin |Notebooks | Microsoft MVP
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.