OEM vs Full Version

Right now I have Vista 32-bit on my home built computer and want to move to a 64-bit OS, and yes I do have a 64-bit processor. But when I went to Best Buy today the guy told me that there was a difference between OEM vs Full. I was purplexed! I thought the full version was OEM. He explained that if my computer crashed, that I couldn't install the OEM on another computer and that I could only make small hardware changes to that computer. With the Full version you can install it on another computer if the original crashes. But is this the only difference in the two versions? If I had to make a significant hardware change like a new motherboard, and the OEM won't let me activate, could I call MS to explain what happened? And the main issue is cost. I assume some way or another MS has the right to force the retailers to sell Windows at a set price? On the first link below is an OEM disk from NewEgg, which is priced at $189, while the full version sells for $319 as per the second link. So what's with the price difference? Are certain features missing?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116762
http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Ultimate/product/5A4B95F4

Randall
Answer
Answer
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system
Carey Frisch
Windows Expert - Consumer

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2020 Views 33,229 Applies to: